Magic Basketball forum

You are not logged in.
Click on register if you haven't got any account.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Magic Basketball forum

You are not logged in.
Click on register if you haven't got any account.

Magic Basketball forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum of the Magic Basketball team of Teeworlds.

+2
TyraBanks
Dunedune
6 posters

English as an international language

Dunedune
    Dunedune
    Bot
    Bot

English as an international language Empty English as an international language

Post by Dunedune Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi !

Although we all know English IS an international language (isn't it Very Happy ), we still can doubt of its rightness.
    Do you think an international language is needed, and that English is a nice choise ? Tell me what do you feel about this bounce
    As I've got facilities to speak/write English, I'm pro-English, but I'd like to know your opinion on the topic.

By the way 1 : this would help me to argue some English tests Razz
    By the way 2 : this is a nice way to end the happy-birthday-spree, isn't it ?

Dunedunely.
    TyraBanks
    TyraBanks
    No-life
    No-life

English as an international language Empty Re: English as an international language

Post by TyraBanks Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm

i think 1 international language is rly nice
    english isnt that hard 2 read understad and speak
    so hink its ok
    but german would be bit nicer Wink
    Dunedune
    Dunedune
    Bot
    Bot

English as an international language Empty Re: English as an international language

Post by Dunedune Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Why do you think german would be better ?
    The Honk
    The Honk
    MRT pro
    MRT pro

Post by The Honk Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 pm

home field advantage^^
    Dunedune
    Dunedune
    Bot
    Bot

Post by Dunedune Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 pm

This ain't an argue... everyone could say same Razz
    I ask you something objective, howeevr if you tihkn your language is the best... please explain, and bring a shield for my reply Very Happy
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47 am

German nearly got the international language I think.

I don't care which is the international language. The essential is that it won't change.
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:50 am

well yes English is really easy and it's spoken on every continent. So it doesn't matter where you are, somebody speaks English =).
    My second choice would be Spanish cause it's easy too.

3. French (not easy but spoken in many countries)
    4. German (most spoken language in Europe and language of books)
    ?. Russian (doesn't use the Latin alphabet)

I don't like the Asian languages cause of the lettering (very ineffective)

@sheep: what do you mean? Oo
    Of course there is a huge German diaspora but most time the second generation doesn't speak German any more cause they become integrated.
    Dunedune
    Dunedune
    Bot
    Bot

Post by Dunedune Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 pm

I think Sheep made a mistake (haven't noticed by the way ^^)

I don't care which is the international language. The essential is that it won't change.
    According with you, a crucial point is that this won't change, but do think this is a nice thing ? People, mostly old ppl think we're loosing a part of our history, of our culture.
    And you don't care which... I don't agree with this... a language such as french or chinese would be really bad... french because it's really verbous and chinese cause, as said blobby, they are very ineffective ; and an international language must be short, simple, and adapted to computers.
    Puch
    Puch
    MRT pro
    MRT pro

Post by Puch Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 am

English is easy for an european but for a chinese ? I think chinese is a good language because china is the language for tomorow. But this language is hard... And it's an other alphabet
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 am

Yes there are 1,3 billion people who speak Chinese, but as I said their lettering is very very very ineffective. And as I said the Chinese Lettering is extremely bad. Even for the Chinese it's hard to learn. What Dune says is right (like always^^). Imagine that Chinese would be the international language from now on, English would still be the language for software.

If you compare 1,3 billion people using the Chinese Lettering and the people of Europe, North- and South America, Australia and most parts of Africa the Latin Alphabet is predominant.

Maybe I misunderstood something. I thought you meant English as an international language like it is. Not that everybody is just speaking 1 Language (native). Because I think it works. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to discuss about this Razz.
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Well, German nearly got the language in the USA (actually the US has no official language!). If it was the official language in the US it maybe would be the international, too:o

Yes, I wouldn't care if it was Chinese. Then I have to learn Chinese. And btw Chinese has a "normal" writing, too. Pinyin. Actually it isn't that hard as everybody think. I learnt a bit before I went to China.
    TyraBanks
    TyraBanks
    No-life
    No-life

Post by TyraBanks Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm

nerd Very Happy
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Sheep wrote:Well, German nearly got the language in the USA (actually the US has no official language!). If it was the official language in the US it maybe would be the international, too:o

lol? where did you got that information? 95% US-Americans speak English, 12% Spanish and just 1 million speak German. 1 million of 300 million = 0,4% wow there's a huge chance ...

*** Spoken Chinese is distinguished by its high level of internal diversity. There are between seven and thirteen main regional groups of Chinese (depending on classification scheme), of which the most spoken, by far, is Mandarin (about 800 million), followed by Wu (90 million), Cantonese (Yue) (70 million) and Min (70 million). Most of these groups are mutually unintelligible *** ...

And yes I know the other lettering cause there are Chinese classes in my school too, but it didn't become accepted till yet (in China). Besides There are very few countries with Chinese as official language.
    The Honk
    The Honk
    MRT pro
    MRT pro

Post by The Honk Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am

there was a vote for the main language in the USA. german nearly won, it was close
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am

Yes but that is like you would say that Latin would have been the international language, if the Imperium Romanum hadn't collapsed.

*** Despite the latest rehearsal in Ann Landers' advice column of the myth that German had once come close to replacing English in the United States, Americans have never had a legally-established official language. The so-called German vote did not take place in 1776, and it had nothing to do with privileging German over English. The legend that it did, which has gone around since at least the 1850s, was spread initially by propagandists celebrating German contributions to American culture. It has since been taken over by those who claim that the English language in the United States is an endangered species. The story of the German Vote is occasionally trotted out by ELA supporters to demonstrate the power of ethnic groups to subvert national unity and to warn Americans that although the German threat to English has been defused, the Spanish one has not. ***
    Dunedune
    Dunedune
    Bot
    Bot

Post by Dunedune Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 pm

I didn't know anything about this "German vote". Thank you Blob for this lightning.
    Mhh I never studied Chinese, and don't even know how to say Yes/No/I love but it seems to me there are many "sublanguages", a traditional one, an official one, and many differences into several traditionals alternatives... is it right ?
    If it is, then the true Chinese isn't spoken by 1,6 billion people....

Furthermore, I'd like to remind you there are 1,1 billion Indians...
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Yes Dune you're right, that's exactly what I've written. Except for the "German vote" (maybe I misunderstood you). It was Propaganda --> not real.

Dunedune wrote:
    Furthermore, I'd like to remind you there are 1,1 billion Indians...

Yeah I thought about India too. I dunno why most people forget this country. But it's the same problem. Different "dialects" and moreover the lettering is different (Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati).
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Dunedune wrote:Yes/No/I love
    yes = shì
    no = bù
    I love you = wǒ'àinǐ
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

but shì does also mean:
    *generation
    *epoch
    *job
    *happening
    *accident

and bù does also mean:
    *quay
    *drapery
    *gangway
    and finally
    *kick
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 pm

and what do you want to say with that?

Just an example (sry for german words(; ):
    cool does mean:
    cool
    kühl
    toll
    geil
    ruhig
    abweisend
    frisch
    frostig
    bedächtig
    dreist
    gesammelt
    gleichgültig
    krass
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 pm

yes but it's in a very little interval.
    kühl - fröstig = synonym
    toll - cool - geil - krass = synonym
    abweisend - kühl - cool = synonym
    bedächtig- ruhig - gesammelt = synonym

but shì does also mean:
    *generation
    *epoch
    *job
    *happening
    *accident

and bù does also mean:
    *quay
    *drapery
    *gangway
    and finally
    *kick

every word has nothing to do with the other words.
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm

so cool means 4 words, shì 5 and bù 4? Not a big difference.
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 pm

of course cool means 3 - 4 different words but it's a smooth transition in a very little interval.
    There is no link between accident and generation.
    Sheep
    Basket king
    Basket king

Post by Sheep Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 pm

well, but actually it isnt bad if theres no link between two different meanings. so its easy to get the right meaning out of the context.
    Blobby
    Blobby
    Magic
    Magic

Post by Blobby Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Yes but just if you know every meaning of the word. Its easier when the words are linked trust me =)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 26, 2024 5:20 pm